[Sca-cooks] define" market"``

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Sep 17 17:23:43 PDT 2006

> >From my understanding of market is that it is a place of food produce
> vendors and the non food vendor areas were called bazaars.

I've never heard of this division... I know that the term bazaar is
applied generally to Oriental (non-European) markets in 18th and 19th
century literature, but I've never read of the term being used in
English in our period. I wonder if it's a specific usage to a particular
country that I'm not aware of? Looking at the Oxford English Dictionary,
there's one quotation, [c1340 BALDUCCI PEGOLOTTI Merc. Handbk. gives
Bazarra as Genoese word for .market-place. (Y.).] so perhaps the useage
you were thinking of was Italian?
There are a number of English Place names, such as Market Harborough,
where,
according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, "General and cattle markets
for a wide agricultural area have been held there since 1203. "

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net