[Sca-cooks] A different taste treat ;-)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 11:33:48 PDT 2006

On 9/16/06 9:44 AM, "Saint Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> So today, I decided to make myself up some oatmeal for breakfast,
> something I dearly love with brown sugar (lots), yogurt, and
> occasionally some wheat germ- very tasty, despite being good for me.
> Cooked up the oats, added the brown sugar, and went to the fridge to
> get the yogurt, and discovered it had developed a life of its own-
> Yeauchh!!!
>
> So, what to add for the milk component of my breakfast? Spotted whole
> milk, then heavy cream, THEN, noticed we had some lovely, whole milk
> sour cream. Never tried it on oatmeal before, but taste and texture is
> rather similar to yogurt, so why not?
>
> It was great ;-) I'm sure I'm not the first one to ever discover it- I
> can't imagine folk in period not trying soured milk and similar
> products on oatmeal, but as a new-to-me discovery, it's WONDERFUL ;-)
>
> I gotta do more of this ;-)

I have freely substituted yogurt and soured milk products [sour cream,
buttermilk] for each the others for many years.  Yogurt in "buttermilk
biscuits" works great.

The one I learned for camping was to put fruit flavored yogurt with dry
cereal instead of fluid milk.  Spills less and keeps better in the ice
chest.  That was the "Ulfgard Breakfast" for many years.  Yeah, you probably
know that one well but hey, I'm a city kid, it was new to me.

Selene