[Sca-cooks] 'Nobody said you were' was Re: Chili's Southwestern eggrolls - Oop

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 15:55:43 PDT 2006

I was providing an example of contrast, not a rebuttal, but it brings up
a question:  I've seen several people respond to several other people's
statements with this 'Nobody said you were' or to a question with 'Who
said you did?' as if either moved the discussion forward or imparted any
information.

I suppose if the question was some sort of trick question like 'do you
still beat your wife?' that would be one thing, but a question like 'do
you believe that x?' doesn't seem to call for a 'who said I did?' kind
of response...just a "no and here's why", a "yes and here's why" or some
request of definition or context.

Is this some sort of regional or cultural thing?  Like 'howyadoin' in
New Jersey or 'yo dude' in California?  Some sort of filler statement
that just challenges the other person without adding anything to the
exchange or answering the question or even asking the other person the
context of their statement or question?

Not picking on Adele in particular, just wondering what this
conversational style comes from.  Is it meant to just be conversational
filler, like 'whatever' or something like that?

Duriel

--
Tom Vincent