[Sca-cooks] pineapples

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 22 14:31:07 PDT 2006

>From at least the 14th Century, pineapple referred to pine cones.  Most of
the pineapples which appear in various decorative forms are actually pine
cones rather than stylistic versions of Ananas comosus.  In the mid-17th
Century, usage transferred from pine cones to the fruit of A. comosus
because of the visual simularities.  G. Havers translation of the The
Travels of Pietro della Valle in the East Indies (1664) makes reference to
the simularities and places the pineapple in India between 1623 and 1626.

Bear