[Sca-cooks] Dogs in SCA households

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Sep 23 23:47:57 PDT 2006

St. Phlip writes:
 > Might also look at the local Agway
 > or equivalent. They often will sell the nub horns for doggie chew
toys
 > for very cheap- and they're another good group for giving things to
 > kids.

Eeep.  I think I do NOT want to teach my dog that horns are chew toys, I
could lose a good drinking horn that way.  Same reason I have to
store my
leather stock AWAY from Tegan -- I cannot trust her to be able to
distinguish between a rawhide bone that is for her from the
not-necessarily-good-grade-may-include-chemicals rawhide from Leather
Factory that I bought for drum heads.

Love,
Selene and Tegan the wonder dog
-----

Sigh. Yes. My lady wife has a lot of beanie babies. We learned very
quickly when we adopted our dog last fall that the door to the room
with the beanie babies has to stay closed. Snowball can't tell the
difference between the toys he is allowed, nay encouraged, to chew on
and those beanie babies.

I am in the final stages of converting a wooden wagon and making a
harness so that Snowball can pull it. We have been taking him to SCA
events when it has been allowed and the wagon is for that, as well as
for around the neighborhood. He has a lot of energy, so hopefully
this will burn off some of it. At 14 pounds, he can probably only
pull around 42 pounds (3X their weight), but with the wagon weighing
in at about 19 pounds after modifications, he should even be able to
help with waterbearing and such, at least some.

I'll be working on getting an updated version of Rachel of the Barony
of Bhakail's article on dog carts and dog cart training which
appeared in the Winter 2004 TI into the Florilegium in the near future.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com