[Sca-cooks] Dogs in SCA households

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Sep 24 04:21:50 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I am in the final stages of converting a wooden wagon and making a
> harness so that Snowball can pull it. We have been taking him to SCA
> events when it has been allowed and the wagon is for that, as well as
> for around the neighborhood. He has a lot of energy, so hopefully
> this will burn off some of it. At 14 pounds, he can probably only
> pull around 42 pounds (3X their weight), but with the wagon weighing
> in at about 19 pounds after modifications, he should even be able to
> help with waterbearing and such, at least some.

Teaching a dog to pull is fun ;-) I made harness (which doubled as
seat belts for my two Great Danes, Mike and Sadie, back when I was in
college the first time, and we attached them to a friend's wheelchail
and used to pull her around ;-)

And, I was highly amusedat Antir Coronation, to discover a young man
who had built his dog a cart out of miscellanious bits of branches and
taught him to pull it. The pair of them were off making a few dollars,
hauling everyone's garbage to the dumpsters for them ;-)  Nice guys,
both of them ;-)

Hmmm... Souage is a Husky, bred for pulling, and 45 lbs, so she could
pull about 135 lbs. Wonder what I could train her to pull...

> I'll be working on getting an updated version of Rachel of the Barony
> of Bhakail's article on dog carts and dog cart training which
> appeared in the Winter 2004 TI into the Florilegium in the near future.
>
> Stefan
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....