[Sca-cooks] Pulling Dogs

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 06:56:35 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
< < < SNIP > > >  He is quite willing to let me hitch him to the wagon
between the wooden tongues and with the traces. Then he'll just stand
there or sit down. I can get him to pull it for a few inches by
tempting him with half a mini-sausage link, which he seems to adore.
But it takes a lot of coaxing and if the sausage link is more than a
few inches from his nose, he decides it's not worth it. If I grasp
his collar and tug it, he is quite willing to walk and pull the
wagon. So, we'll just have to see how it goes. < < < < <

You'll find some breeds will take to the harness more readly than others . .
. as some are more prone to fetch than others.  The Greater Swiss Mountain
Dog, for example, is reported (on the TV shows I've watched) to take to the
harness and load pulling like a duck to water, or a cat to a litter pan.
They aren't so much for fetching, though.  Terriers take to the ground and
hounds to tracking.  I guess like a knife, if you match your dog to your
task, the task is easier.  Any dog can work, but the r5ight dog would be
easier.

niccolo difrancesco
(I prefer bratwrust to dogs in general)