[Sca-cooks] A Piece of the One True Cod

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Sep 28 14:00:14 PDT 2006

On 9/28/06, SilverR0se at aol.com <SilverR0se at aol.com> wrote:
> ...is what I happened to find at the market yesterday. That's what they
> called it, as opposed, I guess,  to Pacifc Cod which they were also selling. I've
> wanted to try it since I read Mark Kurlansky's book.
>
> Keeping in mind that I live in Los Angeles and haven't had the advantages of
> those of you on the East Coast and especially in New England, I have 2
> questions.
>
> First, what do I do with it other than deep-frying (which I am not equipt to
> do) in batter?

Deep frying works, but really isn't the best wat to enjoy a mildly
flavored fish like cod. Breading and panfrying works just fine.

My favorite way to cook it is wrapped in foil in the oven, with
perhaps some lemon juice and some mild spices (depending on your
preferences- plain Mrs Dash works just fine).

> Second, since Fish and Chips comes to mind, how is Malt Vinegar made? After
> all, wine vinegar comes from wine and cider vinegar comes from cider, but what
> does malt vinegar come from? Is there enough alcohol in beer to make vinegar?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Renata

The grocery store, usually ;-) If your local grocery doesn't sell it,
I believe Long John Silver's sells bottles of theirs in their
restaurants. Pretty tasty, as I recall. Don't forget to try it on
french fries, rather than using ketchup- it makes a nice flavor
change.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....