[Sca-cooks] A Piece of the One True Cod

SilverR0se at aol.com SilverR0se at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 13:42:49 PDT 2006

...is what I happened to find at the market yesterday. That's what they
called it, as opposed, I guess,  to Pacifc Cod which they were also selling. I've
wanted to try it since I read Mark Kurlansky's book.

Keeping in mind that I live in Los Angeles and haven't had the advantages of
those of you on the East Coast and especially in New England, I have 2
questions.

First, what do I do with it other than deep-frying (which I am not equipt to
do) in batter?

Second, since Fish and Chips comes to mind, how is Malt Vinegar made? After
all, wine vinegar comes from wine and cider vinegar comes from cider, but what
does malt vinegar come from? Is there enough alcohol in beer to make vinegar?

Thanks!

Renata