[Sca-cooks] OT: Coronet Merchant Recommendation

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 17:15:40 PDT 2006

Katheline van Weye wrote:
> Pardon me for this non-cooking message but I know this group reaches a broad
> segment of people.
>
> It's time for me to begin the search for a coronet merchant as my husband and I
> are halfway through our landed baroness/baron term and will need personal
> coronets when we step down (should Their Majesties deem us worthy of the
> Bannthegn/Thegn positions at that time).  I haven't really seen the style of
> coronet I like from any of the artisans in Atenveldt so I thought I would
> search further out.  My preference is for either a pierced metal or etched
> "lacy" design as my ultimate goal is to have a coronet with a traditional
> Elizabethan blackwork design on it.  I find the various "vine" coronets out
> there to be quite lovely but with all of the soldering on them I am very
> worried about breakage so I do not think those styles will do for me.  I do not
> care for the hinged coronets as our Barony has one set of those and all they do
> is rip out my hair.
>
> The Apples and Flowers Coronet on Craft Fox at
> http://www.craftyfox.com/coronets/sterling-silver.html is a good example of the
> pierced design that I like.  Drachenstein Treasures also shows a pierced
> coronet at http://www.dragonsjewels.com/bar31.jpg.  A simple etched coronet on
> Drachenstein Treasures is at http://www.dragonsjewels.com/bar45.jpg.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations for merchants?  I turn to you all because
> though I see a lovely coronet on a website, it doesn't guarantee that the
> merchant is able to produce such a coronet again in the time frame we need or
> with the same quality.  But you all know which merchants have done well by you
> and which haven't so I hope you can help me with this quest.
>
> Thank you!  E-mail can be sent to me privately rather than cluttering up
> Gunthar's wonderful list.
>

> In Service,
> Katheline van Weye

I have one of Drachenstein's coronets...not one of the ones you showed,
but one that is a Pelican/Laurel combination.  I really enjoy working
with them...Master Lothar is a consummate craftsman and takes a great
deal of pride in his work.  I can't be sure, but I believe that Crafty
Fox is the company I had a great deal of trouble with some years back.
I ordered a ring from them...stupidly prepaid for the whole thing, and
never got my ring or my money.  This transaction happened at Pennsic.
Their work is exquisite, which is why this bothered me so much.  I have
purchased several Pelican medallions and a coronet from them...so was
really stunned when they treated me in such a cavalier fashion.  I know
that other folks from Atlantia had problems with them as well.  If it
were I, I would go with Drachenstein...great work, reliable and honest.

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn