[Sca-cooks] Speaking of beets...AND Russian Cuisine

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 04:34:31 PDT 2006

Pray tell us where you have found a source for studying Russian Cuisine???
I have been searching, as have others on this list, and the meager offerings
of the Domistroi are about all that can be verified (unless there is
something that I have missed in discussion).

Mairi Ceilidh

I was thinking of beets and Lombardy tarts today in the shower. I have made
Lombardy tarts with beet roots and thought they were great! However, I
can't recall another beet tart/pie recipe that specifies it is made with
beet roots, even in Russian cuisine. I know that there are a couple
different cultures and timeperiods where they made what was basically
quiche with herbs/greens in it. Are there any other beet tarts recipes made
with beet roots other than Lombardy tarts? Also, I have another question.
Were there certain shapes for making cofyns/coffins, and did the shapes
change over the centuries? I can't imagine anything more wasteful of space
in an oven than a round pie tin. Weren't coffins square for the most part?
What could you use to imitate a coffin pan? I think an 8 X 8 pan would be
too deep, but I'm really not sure.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.