[Sca-cooks] Speaking of beets...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 12:01:09 PDT 2006

I posted:
>Marx Rumpolt, 1581
>
>30. Nimb Ruben/ die gebraten seyn/ hack sie/ vnnd mach sie mit Butter an/
>vnd versaltz es nicht/ so ist es ein gute Fu:ell in ein Turten.
>
>30. Take roots (beets/turnips/carrots...)/ that have been fried/ chop
>them/ and prepare them with butter/ and do not oversalt them/ so it
>is a good filling for Turten.
>
>Granted, the original does not specify which roots to use, but other
>recipes in this cookbook call for "rot ruben" = "red root" which is
>beet root, so i figure beets could be used in this dish.

And Niccolo queried:
>Logically, if the red root is specifically listed in other recipes, would it
>not seem that their omission here would suggest NOT using them in htis dish
>as they are used in others?  Can you also provide the translator of the
>version you quoted?  Helps us compare and copntrast.

Well, first i need to apologize for bad editing. The first line of
the recipe in English includes "(beets/turnips/carrots)". Anyone
reading the German can clearly see that this is an interpolation and
not a part of the original recipe. I neglected to remove it, and this
could be misleading to people who can't read the German.

Second, thanks for asking where these came from. Sometimes i forget
to include the details.

The original is from Thomas Gloning's website.
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/rumpturt.htm

Translation is from Gwen Catrin von Berlin, who used to be on this list.
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_turten1.htm
I often do my own translations, but hers seemed pretty close, so i
didn't bother doing my own this time.

I used this recipe to make tarts at a mostly German Boar Hunt i
cooked, using a mixture of carrots, parsnips, and turnips. It was
quite bland so i added some spices - first checking other recipes in
the same cookbook to ascertain what would be a fairly accurate spice
combination used in a savory dish. I added pepper, mace, cinnamon,
ginger, sugar.

For the same feast i also made a fresh pickle of beet roots with horseradish.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita