[Sca-cooks] Pie Shapers: Was Speaking of Beets

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 8 12:08:36 PDT 2006

Robert May whose work wasn't published until he was very very old
actually grew up and served in a late Elizabethan household when he was
young.
His cookery especially reflects what had been served in the grand households
of the late 16th century. His dates are 1585 or 1588-c1665.
Printed cookbooks in England were never that groundbreaking in that first
two or three centuries after Caxton. There is a lag in cookery between what
was being practiced and when it all appears in print. It can be a
generation.
It can even be longer. Laura Mason noted that some of the first recipes for
certain sorts of made confections appear in Jarrin. And when is Jarrin?
His Italian Confection appears in the 1820's for the first time.
We know that the confections were made and sold much earlier. The recipes
were just not printed.

Johnnae