[Sca-cooks] Pie Shapers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 8 21:41:12 PDT 2006

You need to look at the dates ascribed to the pies.  A number of the 18th
Century and later pies have all the appearances of being prepared in
something like a spring form mold.  While some of the 17th Century pies look
like they might have been molded, the depth of the relief in the decorations
suggests to me that they have been decorated with carved pieces of dough
(which may have been molded or prepared with a cutter) rather than being
molded directly on the shell.  The 15th Century bakemete is almost certainly
dagged by hand.

The truly interesting piece is the preparation of Markham's recipe for
herring in a fish shape.  The dish has been prepared and baked in a shaped
and carved baking pan (trappe).  It is definitely a molded pie and very
likely an Elizabethean practice.

It's late and I've only taken a cursory glance, but I've seen a couple of
things that intrigue me.

Bear