[Sca-cooks] OOP - Foods with Place Names

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Sep 11 06:58:04 PDT 2006

I was thinking of Buffalo, MN, which I believe was named after the animal
also known as "bison."  Dunno about the Buffalo in NY.  We have them here in
Montana, too, (the animals, that is) and I have seen both words used to
describe the flesh of said animal, so I felt okay with making that
particular contribution to the list.  Although, oddly enough, it's the
roadside stands that sell "buffalo burgers," and the tonier joints in town
(like the Pearl, where I recently ate *the* most amazing bison
tenderloin....) refer to it as "bison."  Almost like a cow/beef, pig/pork
thing.
There's at least one town named "Whitefish." It's in Montana, about an hour
south of the Canadian border, and I was unfortunate enough to spend several
of my growing-up years there (lovely town, geographically, but
pathologically small).  IIRC, it's technically named for the lake outside
town which was named for the fish, but....;o)
--Maire, off in search of caffeine of her own, and a bagel (couple of good
bagel places here, but *no one* does an egg bagel, and I've just been
jonesing for one...oh, well...I'll make do with lox and cream cheese ;o),
and maybe capers if they have them...mmmm...and a wee bit of red onion)