[Sca-cooks] Cooking Tripods, Supports, Pompeii Brazier, fire height

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Sep 11 07:44:37 PDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for places that make cookware supports for fire cooking such as tripods, spits, frames, firepans, etc.
>
> How about metal cookware?  I have a hard time figuring out what is period and what isn't.  I mean some things are easy.  I know to give the iron corn shaped corn bread pan a pass :-).
>
> Also does anyone know of people making the Pompeii Brazier as shown here.
> http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/brazier.html
> (but site is down today)
> It's rectangular with iron rungs in a much wider spacing than a modern grill.
> Ah, there are some photos of the brazier at the Apicius yahoo group
> http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Apicius/photos/browse/7511
> And here are some photos of it being used for cooking
> http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Apicius/photos/browse/14dc
> In the Pompeii brazier and cauldron photo, you can see how the rungs slide to change the spacing or in this case to use the rung side as a fire pit

As Kiri said, we'd need to join the group to see them. However, if
it's the one I'm thinking of, it's pretty easy to make, as are
tripods. Thing is, for many of you, it would be cheaper to have
it/them made locally, as shipping nowadays will tend to eat you up.

> For places that don't allow ground fires, what is the minimum height that the firepan needs to be above the ground?

Usually 12 inches, but from what I'm hearing it varies from place to
place. I'm in the process of making one for Brighid, using a variant
of the Roman design held over an above ground fire pit. Delay has been
the sheet metal, which Dragon has been supposed to bend for me, now,
for a couple years. Not having a brake, I'm about to take after it
with a hammer and copious cussing- the usual way to accomplish an
annoying smithing project ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....