[Sca-cooks] Harvest Days - Feast Report

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 14 20:47:59 PDT 2006

Very nice site Daniel!! I especially like the repro food paintings.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/  Is the recipe below possibly for fried
mozzerella sticks, and could we use them as a course in a medieval feast?
(Said only half in jest) Oh, wait, modern ones are covered in beadcrumbs I
think.

~Aislinn~

Deep-fried cheese - makes you wonder if they ever served it on a stick.

Source [The Viandier of Taillevent, Terence Scully (trans.)]: Et qui veult
faire des Pipesfarces, convient avoir de bon frommage de gain par grosses
lesches comme le doy, et les enveloper en la paste des petites crespes et
puis les boutter en son sain chault; et les gardez d'ardoir; et quant ilz
sont seiches et jaunettes les drecier, et les crespes avec.

If you wish to make Stuffed Tubes (Pipesfarces), you should have good rich
cheese in slices thick as a finger, and coat them in the batter of the
Small Crepes, then drop them into hot grease, and keep them from burning.
When they are dry and yellowish, set them out and the Crepes with them.