[Sca-cooks] Meatball subs-OOP

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 15 12:47:11 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

Well, let's hope they don't discover this commercial brand Margali
discovered ;-) < < <SNIP > > these are quite tasty- neutral in terms of
spicing, and
without a ton of tvp or other fillers- just enough that they hold
together well, and are tender, with a nice mix of pork and beef, and
well-balanced in terms of fat vs meat. Went very well with the
noodles, the gravy, and a couple healthy shakes of Paul Pruhomme's
Seafood Magic. > > > >

"Food Service" foods used to be a joke, or a punchline.  These days, you can
get some absolutely fabulous prepared items at grocery stores and warehouse
clubs that used to be reserved solely for the restaurant market.  The
premade/frozen meatballs I use for some catering type applications are
astounding like you describe.  They don't use the same dairy and binder I
would, but the pork sweetness is right there with the tenderness.
i can get them in half ounce size as well as 1 oz, 2 oz, 4 oz and 6 oz.
Same price per pound, and all very good.

Food preservation and preparation are catching up to our demands for taste
and quality.  This ain't you grandfather's Swanson TV dinner we're talking
about.

niccolo difrancesco