[Sca-cooks] Meatball subs-OOP

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 14:34:03 PDT 2006

The only decent meatball subs I have had outside of northern NJ-NYC area have been in Italian-owned restaurants in Lower Bucks, Pa. (where I live) and Philly. Partly has to do with the rolls, partly has to do with the meatballs. In my opinion, they need to be firm, made with a minimum of breadcrumbs and a a nice amount of grated cheese (pecorino romano or parmesan), and a mixture of meat rather than all beef. Although I do like a good mozzarella on my meatball sub, I am just as happy with a touch of tomato sauce and a lot of grated pecorino. Melted provolone also works for me.

Every cook who makes really good meatballs know this fact: no matter how many you make, it's never enough.

There is a pork meatball recipe in a vinegar-laced sauce with raisins and pine nuts I've been meaning to try. I'm thinking this might be better over rice, though.

Gianotta