[Sca-cooks] Meatball subs-OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 15 12:31:16 PDT 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> So, I'm sitting here nuking up some pre-cooked frozen Swedish
> meatballs, over some leftover noodles, with some leftover gravy, and
> got to thinking-
>
> Why a meatball sub?
>
> I mean, I can understand slices of meatloaf, or slices of pretty near
> anything that's essentially flat being put on a sub or other sandwich,
> but meatballs are round and usually rather firm- I'd think the things
> would squirt out of your sandwich if you aren't pretty careful.
>
> So could someone, preferably an aficionado tell me,
>
> Why Meatball Subs (Grinders, Hoagies, etc)

Well, bearing in mind that most genuine Italian meatball-eaters, both
in the US and in Italy, generally do tend to eat them more with bread
than with pasta, it's probably just an expedient use of leftovers. I
used to work with a guy who Was Connected (in the Bensonhurst,
Brooklyn sense), whose family allegedly imported canned Italian
tomatoes and roasted peppers, as well as oils and cheeses and such,
and their name was Martello. I pointed out to him that his name
probably had something to do with hammers (as in Charles Martel), and
he apparently had not known this, and he went home and told his
connected father, who apparently also had never thought about it.
They then went and redesigned their company logo to something vaguely
resembling the Arm and Hammer logo, and suddenly I was getting all
these cases of plum tomatoes under that brand.

But, before I digress too far, I always thought it was interesting
that this fellow always brought his lunch to work from home, and it
was almost always a sandwich made from something other than thinly-
sliced commercial cold cuts -- a breaded chicken or veal cutlet, cold
sausage, meatballs, or some other substantial hunk of protein.

I know I've seen meatballs for sandwiches cut in half; presumably
that keeps them from rolling around too much.

Adamantius