[Sca-cooks] define" market"`` RE: Some Antirians go to Estrella...

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Sep 15 23:23:48 PDT 2006

Um... Newmarket, Haymarket areas in London, as well as town names.  Market
Platz and market square is still a fairly common designation in German and
English villages.  I spent some time in the old Marktplatz in Frankfurt, GE
when we were stationed there.  The OED seems to date it back to Anglo-Saxon
times.

"I. A place at which trade is conducted.

    1. a. A meeting or gathering together of people for the purchase and
sale of provisions or livestock, publicly displayed, at a fixed time and
place; the occasion or time of this. Also: the people gathered at such a
meeting. Freq. with article omitted after to, from, and at. Also fig. or in
figurative context.
  high market Obs., the time when the market is busiest.

lOE Anglo-Saxon Chron. (Laud) anno 963 Ic wille at markete beo in e selue
tun. lOE Anglo-Saxon Chron. (Laud) (Peterborough contin.) anno 1125

c1275 Kentish Serm. in J. Hall Sel. Early Middle Eng. (1920) I. 220 So ha
kam into e Marcatte so he fond werkmen et were idel. 1340 Ayenbite 215 God
nele nat et me maki his hous marcat. c1400 (?a1300) King Alexander (Laud)
1513 A temple was in e markat of T[e]ruagaunt. c1477 CAXTON tr. Hist. Jason
79 They began a bataile upon the market. 1521 in J. W. Clay Testamenta
Eboracensia (1902) VI. 4 A howse in the marketh. 1587 A. FLEMING et al.
Holinshed's Chron. (new ed.) III. 1186/1 The tolboth in the market of Durham
all of stone. 1656 A. COWLEY Isaiah XXXIV in Pindaric Odes v, Then shall the
Market and the Pleading-place Be Choakt with Brambles and oregrown with
grass. "

Regina