[Sca-cooks] Matzo Balls was Re: Meatball subs-OOP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 10:48:50 PDT 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> Several factors are involved.  The proportion of eggs to matzo
> meal, the
> amount of air whipped into the eggs. Too much oil added to the mix
> will
> make them sink, as will removing the cover while they cook.  My mother
> cheats and uses the Streit's mix and I didn't get a chance to
> witness my
> aunt's and grandmother's techniques so Google will have to do for
> documentation.

Rumor has it that those recipes which feature cold water being added
to the matzoh meal, which is allowed to sit and macerate for an hour
or so, before fat, eggs and other ingredients are added, produces a
lighter knodel, which, should it be dropped on your toe from table
height, is guaranteed not to break any bones.

I do all sorts of heretical stuff like separating the eggs and
whipping the whites, and pretending they're quenelles (shaping them
with two spoons into a three-sided football shape), but apparently I
just haven't got the genetics required to make a perfect matzoh ball.
Only good ones ;-).

Adamantius