[Sca-cooks] Matzo Balls

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Mon Sep 18 16:17:24 PDT 2006

At 09:59 AM 9/18/2006,Susan Fox said something like:
>Several factors are involved.  The proportion of eggs to matzo meal, the
>amount of air whipped into the eggs. Too much oil added to the mix will
>make them sink, as will removing the cover while they cook.  My mother
>cheats and uses the Streit's mix and I didn't get a chance to witness my
>aunt's and grandmother's techniques so Google will have to do for
>documentation.
>
>Mazel tov,
>Selene

I learned about matzo balls and chopped liver from THL Gillian of Lynnhaven
during long social lunches at a jewish deli. The chopped liver was a
delightful surprise, as was the sweet and sour cabbage soup. I still don't
"get" the matzo ball soup or the joy of it.  The one presented to me was
the size of a baseball, in a decent quality chicken broth and little bits
of noodle.  It was okay, but it sure wasn't anything special or worth
getting poetic over.

But after the DZ Akins chopped liver, I think I must be ruined. I picked
some up at the grocery store in the frozen section and about gagged when I
first tasted the new stuff. YUCK!!!  DZ Akins uses chopped chicken livers,
these people used beef liver. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!  I've decided it is just
cleverly labelled overpriced cat food (provided I can get the cats to touch
it).

Cheers,
Maggie