[Sca-cooks] mongolian meat cakes

Craig Jones drakey at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 22 01:37:57 PDT 2006

> On Sep 21, 2006, at 11:12 PM, hlaislinn at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > If the mongols had used cheese in medieval meat cakes, wouldn't it
> > have been something like green mare's milk cheese? Something
> > curdled fresh on horseback, close to cottage cheese?

I doubt it... There's only one meat cake recipe in ASFTQ and there's no
cheese present... And I doubt fried meat cakes would have been a common
thing on the steppes as it's my opinion that not a very fuel efficient form
of cooking (tell me I'm full of s**t if you think I'm wrong ;) )

> Offhand, I'm not certain, but I seem to recall a reference in ASFTQ
> to a dried yogurt product...

Not as far as I remember but I can look for you in ASFTQ tonight... There's
a reference I believe (I may be wrong) in William Rubruck I think...

There is a reference to 'Milk Cake' in Ni Tsan's Cloud Forest Hall Rules for
drinking and eating but I'm more inclined to see that as a form of silken
Tofu...

Drake - Not the healthiest chap at the moment but will always unlurk for
Mongolian stuff...

Ps... Woot! To Lainie... Well done sweetheart...