[Sca-cooks] mongolian meat cakes

hlaislinn at earthlink.net hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 06:31:58 PDT 2006

Adamantius wrote:

Update: Okay, I can't find the book, but it _might_ be "Wild
Blackberry Cobbler And Other Old-Fashioned Recipes" by Katie Stewart
and Pamela Michael (this is me ransacking titles with the word
"blackberry" in them, at Amazon, for ones I recognize...).

I'm curious as to why you are looking for titles with blackberry in them? There is another recipe from this book (I think) served at the same feast that may help you recognise the book. It's called "Royal Concubine Chicken". Here is the intro:

The royal concubine referred to in this case is Empress Yang Kwei-fei of the Tang Dynasty, 618-905 C.E. She was a great beauty but also a drunkard. Hence the chicken dish named after her was a dish which could be called 'Inebriated chicken", as it had a high alcohol content.

The recipe is a 3 lb chicken cooked in 24 oz wine, chicken stock, ginger and onion.

The chicken should be very winey but pure in flavour and tender enough to take to pieces with a pair of chopsticks, symbolical of the qualities of the royal concubine and her tragic life. Although frequently drunk, her love for the Emperor was pure. In the end she was exectuted by the military leaders who demanded her life for having led the Emperor astray, during a rebellion which eventually spelled the doom of the once-powerful Tang dynasty.

~Aislinn~