[Sca-cooks] Possibly OT Spanish/Latin American recipe quest

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 10:48:12 PDT 2006

Without to make a very extensive research i should suggest Guacamole,
mashed avocado with garlic and maybe chilipeppar. (And the chili can
be excluded, it works with only avocado and garlic or onion, maybe
some cilander.
Or the classical Brazilian "feijoada", a stew with beans and sausage,
very cheap to prepare and very nutritive.
And the "mondongo", as it's called in Central America, a stew with the
belly of a cow or a calve, cooked and tenderized. With the mondongo
(similar to the Italian bussecca or the French "tripes a la mode de
Caen" or "trippa" for the Romans, you can have carrots, turnips,
broccoli and any veggie you like.
How about corn tamales, filled with meat or sausage or mashed corn?
Ana

On 9/22/06, Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:
> The French recipes are no problem and there are a number
> of French cookbooks that will provide simple pastries and fruit
> snacks. Also you might see if your library has
> The French Cookie Book: Classic and Contemporary Recipes for Easy and
> Elegant Cookies.
> The Spanish recipes are more problematic, and
> as a librarian I wonder if you'd be better off starting with the cookbooks
> that address allergies and looking then for Spanish or Latin American
> recipes
> within those cookbooks. Starting with the other way, one has to discount
> so many recipes because of the no eggs, no dairy, etc restrictions.
>
> The other alternative is to use a recipe database like RecipeSource (SOAR)
> http://www.recipesource.com/search.html
>
> Searching for +Spanish -eggs -dairy -nuts  /
> /comes up with 132 matches.
>
> You'll still have to go through and weed some of those out.
> Hope this helps,
>
> Johnnae
> //
>

> wildecelery at aol.com wrote:
> >  Simple recipes with Inexpensive ingredients where possible
> > French:
> > Simple Snacks/Pastries (for use during "coffee" time with my advanced French class on Fridays)
> >  Spanish:
> > Dishes from Spain or Latin America with:
> > No dairy  of any kind (or possibilities to remove dairy or serve it on the side)
> > No Eggs (at all)
> > No citrus or Tomatoes (or option to serve these on the side)
> > No Nuts or nut oils of any kind

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci