[Sca-cooks] Cornish Pasties Was Meat Mixtures

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 26 17:35:30 PDT 2006

I find this tale highly suspect.  The tin mines of Cornwall were worked for
around 4,000 years, most of that without modern safety equipment.  A miner
was in more danger from the dust in the air than anything on his hands.  The
tin, by the way, is not particularly poisonous.  The primary poisons are
trace elements in the ore, such as arsenic.  The most lethal killers are the
mica and silica in the matrix rock.  The diseases that afflicted the Cornish
miners were bronchitis, silicosis, TB, and rheumatism.  They went into the
mines at 12 and were dying at 40 if they hadn't been killed or maimed in an
accident.

The pasty has a thick crimped edge is because the dough is a thick heavy
dough which is doubled and crimped to keep the contents sealed in and resist
breaking.  The crimped edge is not very edible, so why not throw it away?  I
will admit it makes a good handle if you don't want to get your dirty hands
on what you're eating, but creating the thick crimped edge specifically to
help prevent poisoning?

Bear