[Sca-cooks] Tin/Pewter Was: Cornish Pasties

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Wed Sep 27 07:44:13 PDT 2006

Hi from Anne-Marie

On pewter:
It wasn't that long ago that pewter was made with lead. In fact, some pewter
still is. But nowadays, stuff to be used for food is SUPPOSED to be lead
free.

However, lots of people have older pieces, or pieces that they pick up from
the thrift store and we're not always sure what those are made of. Plus
sometimes a piece is made overseas that's "not for food use" even though it
looks exactly like one that is and the sticker of course is long gone by the
time its at Goodwill or that garage sale....

Lastly, I find foods served in pewter (and aluminum) can sometimes take up a
funky tinny taste that I find very unpleasant. So I tend to not use it much.

Hope this helps,
--Anne-Marie, who also plays with pewter