[Sca-cooks] Tin/Pewter Was: Cornish Pasties

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 17:42:02 PDT 2006

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
> Hi from Anne-Marie
>
> On pewter:
> It wasn't that long ago that pewter was made with lead. In fact, some pewter
> still is. But nowadays, stuff to be used for food is SUPPOSED to be lead
> free.
>
> However, lots of people have older pieces, or pieces that they pick up from
> the thrift store and we're not always sure what those are made of. Plus
> sometimes a piece is made overseas that's "not for food use" even though it
> looks exactly like one that is and the sticker of course is long gone by the
> time its at Goodwill or that garage sale....
>
> Lastly, I find foods served in pewter (and aluminum) can sometimes take up a
> funky tinny taste that I find very unpleasant. So I tend to not use it much.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --Anne-Marie, who also plays with pewter

I find this particularly so when there is any kind of acid content in
the food...so for that reason, I don't drink wine out  of a metal
goblet...pottery or glass works best.

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn