[Sca-cooks] pewter

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 29 05:46:41 PDT 2006

Actually, it's from a metal's reference sheet and probably does represent
modern pewter.  The antimony is a hardener to keep the finished product from
slumping over time.

I haven't gone looking at historical or archeological references to pewter,
but I would expect the alloy of tin and copper to appear first in Antiquity
as it is the reverse formulation for bronze.  Lead would have been added to
the mix to increase malleability.  Bismuth would probably be added for
luster, if I remember its metallic properties correctly.

Bear