[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for September

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 5 21:06:00 PDT 2006

Greetings to the members of the SCA-Cooks mail list,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September describing
what is new in the Florilegium.

I am looking for a volunteer and a backup volunteer to forward this
monthly article to the An Tir kingdom mailing list, since I can no
longer post directly to that list. If you would be willing to help me
out with this please contact me.

I am also looking for a backup volunteer for the Atlantia,
Drachenwald, Outlands and Trimaris kingdom mailing lists. These
backup volunteers will get the article just like the main kingdom
volunteers, but not send it on unless it doesn't appear on their
kingdom list.

There are now over 2000 different files in the Florilegium. If you
can't seem to find files on a subject you are interested in, you
might want to try using the on-site search engine which can be found
on the top page of the site.

If you have any suggestions, comments or criticisms about the site,
please feel free to email me. Also, there are no hundreds of public
mailing lists out there. I can monitor only a small number of these.
If you see a good article or message thread on a list you are on
which you think would be of interest to others in the SCA, please
send me a copy so that others can learn from the efforts of these
authors as well.

Thanks,
    Stefan
-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CRAFTS section:
    casting-lnks          Links to info on medieval metal casting by
                             Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
In the CULTURES section:
    Moghul-India-msg      The culture and food of Moghul India.
In the FEASTS section:
    Nrmn-Scly-Fst-art     “A feast based upon the culture of Norman
                             Sicily during the reign of King Roger II”
                             by Donna Serena da Riva. (12th Century)
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
    Curye-on-Ingl-msg     Reviews and comments on “Curye on
Iglysch” –
                             English Manuscripts of the 14th C.
In the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section:
    Cypriot-Sugr-art      “From Cane To Kitchen: An Investigation into
                             Medieval Processed Sugar” by Gavan
                                        MacBane. Sugar processing in
Cyprus.
    sotelte-tols-msg      Useful tools for creating sotelties.
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
    fennel-msg            Medieval use of fennel. Recipes.
In the PLABTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    mint-msg              The growing and use of mint in period.
In the SCA-INC section:
    Grup-Historan-art     “How to be Your
  Group’s Historian

” by
                             Mesterinde Annes Clotilde von Bamburg
.
In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
    writng-inst-lnks      Links to info on medieval writing
                             instruments by Dame Aoife Finn.

Here are some of the updated files.
    cherries-msg         Period cherries and cherry dishes. Recipes.
    cheesemaking-msg     Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.
    cooking-oils-msg     Period cooking and food oils.
    fd-Turkey-msg        Medieval Turkish food. References. Recipes.
    freezng-foods-msg    Freezing foods for storage. Techniques.
    honey-msg            Period use of honey. Honey sources.
    lamb-mutton-msg      Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
    online-ckbks-msg     Online versions of period cookbooks.
    peacocks-msg         Serving peacock sotelties safely.
    pies-msg             Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
    stews-bruets-msg     Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
    wood-msg             Different types of wood, period terms.
---
Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com