[Sca-cooks] pineapples

hlaislinn at earthlink.net hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 22 10:25:02 PDT 2006

Bear wrote:
No, it says "one of the earliest references in 1674," leaving the door
open
for earlier references.  Since the first English pineapple was grown in 1661
by John Rose, there are obviously earlier references.  From the blurb, the
article is about the growth of the English pineapple market, not about the
absolute history of the pineapple in Europe, so the references will be to
pineapples in England rather than pineapples in Europe.

The English were crazy about pineapples, if their adoption into heraldry is any indication. When i lived in southern Maryland, it seems the pineapples were everywhere, used as decoration by the decendants of the first English inhabitants who came over in 1634 (Is that right Kiri? It's been a few years...). It always bemused me that the pineapple was so popular, being a New World fruit and all. It may have been adopted after they came to America, but that doesn't make sense to me since pineapples aren't indigenous to North America! Pineapples aren't in the PicDic, and are only minimally mentioned in Fox-Davies, without dates of course.

~Aislinn~