[Sca-cooks] Molded butter creatures was Hi all!

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Apr 20 05:28:04 PDT 2007

Sounds cool. There are some pictures of elaborate butter sculptures in
some of
the professional banquet books.
There's an actual description of molded butter figures from just past 1600.

/Le Ouverture de Cuisine/ from 1604 ends with the description of butter
sculptures created for a banquet.
"There were four parks of two feet square, environed in a hedge of butter.
The first was Adam & Eve made of butter, a serpent on a tree, & a
running fountain, with little animals all around of butter.
The second park was the love of Pyramus & Thisbee, the lion by the
fountain, & the trees all around environed in a hedge of butter.
The third park the hunt of Acteon, & the nymphs with Diana at the
fountain, & then of the little dogs of butter.
The fourth park was two wild men, who battled one another with the
masses by a fountain, & little lions of butter all around: each park had
four banners.
**Translation at: http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm

This is listed as being from THE BANQUET OF THE ENTRANCE of Monsieur
Robert de Berges Count of Walhain, Esquire & Prince of Liege, made in
the palace in Liege, the year 1557 in the month of December.

Johnnae