[Sca-cooks] Fermentation Sponge Question

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:50:23 PDT 2007

Hmm, maybe, and maybe not.  You might end up with a yeast less suited to
your substrate.  I might try a multi-stage pre-ferment.  Organic barley and
water (if you have flouride or chlorine in your water, use bottled) made
into a paste.  Let it sit 24 hours.  Then add more flour and water.  Repeate
every 24 hours for about three days and you're likely to have a stronger
starter.  You can water it down to the consistency you want the feeding
before you use it.  And you can wrap up extra starter dough from earlier
stages and freeze it.

Preferments, retardation, and relaxation periods can really make a
difference in your bread quality.  They take a lot of time - but very little
of it is yours.  As far as switching flours for types of breads, I'm not
sure I follow your theory.  I find that _leavened_ flatbreads, like focacia,
actually benefit more from high-protein flours than classical raised breads.
  The dough is just more slack and usually has some enrichment.  If you want
to play with flour types, King Arthur has some very nice flours available
that mimic the higher mineral content and more moderate protein flours used
in Europe modernly.  As far as in period - it really depends on WHERE and
WHEN and what would have grown.    Soft vs. Hard wheat, red vs. white.  I
can also recommend Westwind Milling Co. - they seperate out their flours in
those ways and it's all stone ground.  You might even be able to ask them
questions about cleaning a mill.  Nice folks.  (If you're in the area, they
also sell pasteurized, nonhomogenized cream - upon which it IS possible to
float an egg on spring cream ;-):
http://westwindmilling.com/

Femke

- Douglas Adams