[Sca-cooks] Cooking as a Hobby, was: Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

TheBard3 thebard3 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 3 10:25:13 PDT 2007

While I have to agree with the idea that a lot of the cooking done (yes even
feasts for many people) could be thought of as a "hobby" I do want to say
that, I know where Master A was coming from.  When many people think of a
hobby they think of dear ol' dad in his workshop knocking out a funky
looking little spice rack (or birdhouse).

So, while I have to say the initial thought of cooking being called one of
my "hobbies" bothered me a bit.  I can also say that the more I thought
about it the less I cared.  I've know too many people the the food service
industry, from fairly upscale carteers to artisan bakers, and well, I'm
happy that it's just my hobby.  I don't have to worry about someone wanting
the sauce that is only good with fish be paired on a good cut of beef.  Or,
have a health freak spaz out because I added a little butter to the sauce
for a great mouthfeel.

I actually enjoy cooking for the feasts and small groups I've cooked for
because, for all but a few, they pretty much respected the food.  Where on
the other hand the time I've helped out a pro, or two, by filling in when
they were short handed it was a bit more work.  You have to deal with
someone complaints because the sourdough bread you slaved over "tasted
funny" compaired to the wonderbread they eat at home.  Or they ran backwards
because the spoon used for the caviar wasn't made of stainless steel (and
looks "icky").  (and yes, I know you can get this same treatment and
reactions at a feast.  Guess I was just lucky with the ones I've done
because it didn't trickle down to my ears.)

Another thing to think of when someone calls cooking your hobby.  Think of
some of the artists who can't make a living at selling art yet, still
produce world class art.  Or some of the new breed of home bakers that build
their own brick ovens and produce killer bread but, live in areas where no
one buys enough "real bread" to even have a demand for it.  If you try to
see it from that angle maybe having cooking for a hobby isn't such a bad
thing.

Well, there's my 2 cents,
James P.