[Sca-cooks] Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 3 16:19:20 PDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Vitaliano Vincenzi wrote:

> Now wait a minute, let's leave knives out of this, because a good,
> expensive knife is important to have. A $200 knife doesn't seem bad in
> my book, though I would prefer if the same quality knife were cheaper.
> However, good quality knives have always been expensive, I don't think
> this "hobby" business has made them any more expensive. :)

This may be true to some extent, but my glass floor for unacceptably
cheap knives is more like $80-100 than $200 (I assume we're talking
about some form of chef's knife, maybe 10 or 12-inch). I haven't
found that my cutting with more expensive knives to be significantly
easier _or_ significantly better, ditto maintenance. I don't like
molded plastic handles or really thin-bladed chef's knives that look
stamped, and I won't even pick up a knife that alleges never to need
sharpening unless I'm cutting cardboard, styrofoam or something like
that.

> I was just fortunate enough to get a really, really nice 15 piece
> knife
> set with block to store them as a wedding gift, otherwise I wouldn't
> have such a nice set. :)

I have yet to find a knife set whose contents I liked completely,
individually. When matching handles becomes a design criterion, I
suspect this may be achieved at some slight expense of quality, or
maybe a better way of saying it would be that all available design
resources should be devoted to designing good knives, not good sets.
I do have a nice block for my unmatched knives, though...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04