[Sca-cooks] Volunteering in a feast kitchen

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 20:19:29 PDT 2007

Oh no, I asked several times, nicely, if there was anything I could help
with. I was given one task by the Feast Steward early in the day, and
another helper asked me to help with something, and otherwise I jumped
in whenever I could, opening oven doors or moving things so someone
could set something down.

I know the head cook is usually busy and that's fine. But to not answer
me when I ask if there is something that could be done is not acceptable
in my book. A simple no would have gone a long way, or even "shut up and
get out of here" would have been more than just being ignored.

And remember, I was invited before the event to help in the kitchen, so
this person knew I was going to be there. All other kitchen workers had
written instructions of what to do when. I was expected but not on the
list of things to do. Why invite me then not let me help? That's what
really bothers me the most. It would be very different if I just popped
in unannounced.

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert