[Sca-cooks] Period Baklava

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 4 19:38:18 PDT 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at 10:10 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Yes, that is why I refer to that Florilegium file as "Period *baklava-
> like* layered pastries". Hmmm. Okay, what is the difference between
> "phyllo" and "puff pastry"? I thought they were basically the same,
> multiple, thin layers of pastry. And both post-1600.

Puff pastry has antecedents that may come from before 1600 CE. While
phyllo also has period antecedents, phyllo qua phyllo is pretty much
an industrial product, which probably makes it, in its current,
recognizable form, somewhat newer than puff pastry. Which, while
often factory-made, can still be made in a home kitchen without
changing the basic method.

The difference is in the manufacture and assembly of the layers. Puff
pastry is laminated with butter, folded, rolled, folded and rolled
again, repeatedly until it's a fairly thin sheet composed of
thousands of alternating layers of flour-and-water-dough, and butter.
Think of Damascus steel done in dough and butter. When you bake it,
the water in the pastry turns to steam, causing the pastry to inflate
and become rigid as it bakes. Phyllo is cooked in individual layers
without the butter, and only attains the multiple layers (usually
painted with melted butter or oil) when you stack them in as many
layers as you want. Then it's generally filled and/or formed, and
baked again until crisp. It puffs slightly, but nowhere near as
dramatically as properly made puff paste, which, under the right
circumstances, can grow in thickness/height by a factor of 8-12 or more.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04