[Sca-cooks] African dish

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 00:38:23 PDT 2007

>There is an northern African dish (Algeria?) with the crust made of a soft
>dough dabbed on a hot pan (a wok like turned upside dowm over the heat
>source) then pealed off and stacked. The pie is made of chicken, almonds
>layers of dough and I forget what else.  Maybe 10 sheets, filling and
>repeat. It is in the Time Life Cookbook for Africa.
>Sarah

Could you be thinking of Bastilla or Brik, a pie of pigeon (often
substituted with chicken) and eggs wrapped in flaky pastry. The dough
is called warka.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/food/recipe21.shtml
This recipe can be found in 'Moro - The Cookbook' by Sam and Sam
Clark, published by Ebury Press, ISBN: 0-09-187483-1

I've seen a similar recipe of a similar method for "Mountain Bread"
that was, I think, Turkish. That book was from the library, but I
think I could track it down again.  For that matter, I've read of
Chinese spring roll skins being made this way, by dabbing dough on a
hot pan.

Ranvaig