[Sca-cooks] period baklava-like pastry was: Period Greek Recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 7 09:55:05 PDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 12:17 PM, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Yep, that's the one!

I've seen references to rectangular or square pans being used
(including most of the baklava I've ever seen in a pan at all being
made in sheet pans and half-sheet pans, which I'd think might be too
low or not leave enough room for syrup, but hey, I only work here),
but as far as I've seen a "baklava pan" is round. I bet you can make
paella in a square pan too, but... ;-)

> Nikkis' was her grandmothers and while she loaned it to me once,
> she guards
> it rather ferociously ;). She NEVER let me make lasagna in it, or
> anything
> but baklava. Did I mention she was a bit of a purist ;)

I can understand this, I guess. Either there's some rather exacting
seasoning of the pan going on, what with all the butter and
rosewater, and if tomato and/or garlic were to touch it life as we
know it would end, or else maybe you're dealing with one of those
people who like to pretend they can detect the number of salt
crystals used in a recipe and whether the cook was lefthanded and his/
her middle name was Martin, but actually may have little or no sense
of taste. But the your pan, your call rule is the biggest
consideration here.

> Good to know I can find one of my own!

It shouldn't be too hard where you are...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04