[Sca-cooks] Somewhat OOP Portable Soup Question

silverr0se at aol.com silverr0se at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 10:39:54 PDT 2007

My previous comments on bacon notwithstanding, I am trying to take more control over what foods I am putting in my body.

To this end, I have pulled the the Portable Soup recipe out of the Lewis & Clark cookbook, thinking to use it to replace the cup-of-noodles i normally eat for breakfast. I am not up to coffee 1st thing in the morning, so the hot broth from the c-o-n works great for me. c-o-n, along with other commercial dry soups have a lot of salt and other stuff I wouldn't mind getting rid of if a tasty substitute can be found.

Portable Soup, for those who don't have the L&C cookbook, is essentally de-fatted, hyper-reduced stock that does not need to be refrigeratated. L&C started their 1803 expedition with about 800 pounds of it.

But while the book gives the recipe for making it, it does not give instructions for re-constituting it. Before I go thru about 3 days of boiling oxtails, I would like to know how much the final product yields.

Has anyone made it and/or does anyone know the PS/water ratio?

Thanks!

Renata