[Sca-cooks] Dem buns

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 11 11:54:14 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:

> You know, I can actually accept leaving out an ingredient
> and still calling it "period". Think about it. You want to make
> the bird and bacon stuffed rolls but the bird is bad. You aren't
> going to toss the rest so you just do it. After a bit your family
> likes it better that way. Just like Cariadoc's "scribal error"
> because he doesn't like saffron (ditto!) someone in period may
> not like an ingredient and not use it. That does not make it
> non-period.
>
> Just an opinion.

I can see circumstances where this would be a reasonable argument.
Not all, but some. As another poster commented, leaving the bird out
of a bird pasty is a bit of a stretch, not unlike eating Hamburger
Helper without the hamburger (didn't I see that in some bad movie?).

But as I said, I think it's a judgement call on the part of the cook/
researcher, how much rationalizing they can or want to do.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04