[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP NYT Article on Math Formula For the Perfect Bacon Sandwich...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 21 20:32:52 PDT 2007

Adamantius commented:
<<<
On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

 > But that is British bacon and not American style Bacon.
 > The BBC News
 > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6538643.stm?ls
 > has a good picture what their bacon sandwich looks like.
 > http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007160287,00.html

Yeah, the Times had a photo, too. We'd probably think of it as
griddle-fried ham or Canadian Bacon on a roll.

They did mention using "streaky bacon". Isn't that "American" bacon?

<<< I'm sure you can get a corned beef sandwich in
the UK, but it probably isn't the monstrosity you routinely get at
Katz's Deli. I'm not sure where, in the meat-to-bread ratio, a bacon
butty falls. >>>

Why are you calling this a "monstrosity"? I thought there was only
two Katz' delis. The original one here in Austin and one his son
opened up in Houston. They've never sounded like a chain, although
they do talk a lot about their food being New York style. Is there a
NY Katz's deli the one here is based on?

And I like the Katz' deli corned beef sandwich, although I like their
Rueben even better.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas