[Sca-cooks] Oh yum!

Michelle LR melbrigda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 07:45:38 PDT 2007

I rarely post, but I just have to brag about a wonderful feast I had last
night.  I attended the Barony of Osprey's (Kingdom of Meridies) Hit List
yesterday and I have to say that the absolute highlight of the event (at
least for me) was the scrumptious feast prepared by Lady Elspeth Forsythe
(also a lurker on this list so she says :) ).  The feast was as follows:

1st Remove
Medieval Herb Bread with Honey Butter, Rosemary Butter and Whipped
Butter
Sallet of all kinds of Herbes and Flowers
Pipefarces

Notes:  This was another feast where I really wish that bread wasn't
served.  Not because it wasn't good, but because I truly saw lots of people
(including those at my table) gorging themselves on bread as they were
starved when they sat down at table.  The bread was delicious and
delightful, but even I couldn't convince my table mates that there truly
were three removes with 2 meats coming.  I missed the flowers in the
sallet.  The herbs were perfect.  There may have been flowers, but may have
been on the top where my table mates ate them, but I missed them.  The
pipefarces provided humor for us as Lady Elspeth used several different
cheeses.  One person at our table asked what the cheese was and I said, "It
tastes familiar.  A harder cheese of some sort."  Another person said, "No.
It is definitely in the Swiss family."  While a third said, "No no no.  This
is a cheddary cheese."  It wasn't until I had a second that I realized that
we were all correct in that she had used different cheeses.  I liked the
Asiago best.

2nd Remove
Chicken Endored with Leek Sauce
Armored Turnips

Notes;  I could have eaten the leek sauce like a soup.  It was very
flavorful and excellent.  The chicken (on a stick :)) was wonderfully
cooked.  Cooked through and not turned into chicken jerky as oft happens
with chicken on sticks at events.  I liked that it was served on skewers as
it made portioning very easy.  I really had to resist eating a complete pan
of armoured turnips myself.  "There's another remove coming, Mel.  There's
another remove coming."  Very very very nice.  Best I have ever had!

3rd Remove
Cormarye
Spinach Tart

Notes:  This is where the "Mel you shouldn't have really eaten three
servings of salad part kicked in."  I persevered and had this remove, too.
So glad I did.  The pork was tender and I didn't feel that any one spice
overwhelmed the other.  I did taste the caraway initially, but the other
spices did come through.  The spinach tart was very good and full of spice
and I had to force my tablemates to have a bite as to not miss this dish.
Elspeth, the pie that had all the tips cut off the slices was from my
table.  :)

4th Remove
Strawberries in Snow

Notes:  The only two "complaints" I have with this dish are that the
strawberries would have been easier handled had they been sliced or at least
quartered.  Maneuvering those enormous strawberries (we grow them Ansteorran
size down here) in the Styrofoam bowls was a bit difficult and I found the
wine just a tad overwhelming.  I totally lost the ginger in the
strawberries.  I'm not sure how to compensate as I wasn't quite sure what
wine you used (the cinnamon kept masking what I was slurping :) )  I could
have eaten a bowl of the "snow" alone.

The dishes were well announced by the hall steward and the servers (well at
least ours, THL Jose Leodefridz) warned us of any potential allergens and
repeated the dish being presented.  Although that might have something to
do with sweet Joselito being a cook himself. :)

All in all a wonderful feast which I enjoyed immensely!  Vivat, Lady
Elspeth!!

--
Mel.
The Honorable Lady Melbrigða Leifsdottir