[Sca-cooks] Oh yum!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 17:17:39 PDT 2007

Yeah Lady Elspeth!

The menu sounds wonderful.

However, the proper and period terminology is 1st Course, 2nd Course, etc.  Remove is
a Victorian word.  So here is a mnemonic device to help you remember this:

Remove "remove" from your vocabulary.  Of course, it's "course"!

Huette

--- Michelle LR <melbrigda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I rarely post, but I just have to brag about a wonderful feast I had last
> night.  I attended the Barony of Osprey's (Kingdom of Meridies) Hit List
> yesterday and I have to say that the absolute highlight of the event (at
> least for me) was the scrumptious feast prepared by Lady Elspeth Forsythe
> (also a lurker on this list so she says :) ).  The feast was as follows:
>
> 1st Remove
> Medieval Herb Bread with Honey Butter, Rosemary Butter and Whipped
> Butter
> Sallet of all kinds of Herbes and Flowers
> Pipefarces
>
> Notes:  This was another feast where I really wish that bread wasn't
> served.  Not because it wasn't good, but because I truly saw lots of people
> (including those at my table) gorging themselves on bread as they were
> starved when they sat down at table.  The bread was delicious and
> delightful, but even I couldn't convince my table mates that there truly
> were three removes with 2 meats coming.  I missed the flowers in the
> sallet.  The herbs were perfect.  There may have been flowers, but may have
> been on the top where my table mates ate them, but I missed them.  The
> pipefarces provided humor for us as Lady Elspeth used several different
> cheeses.  One person at our table asked what the cheese was and I said, "It
> tastes familiar.  A harder cheese of some sort."  Another person said, "No.
> It is definitely in the Swiss family."  While a third said, "No no no.  This
> is a cheddary cheese."  It wasn't until I had a second that I realized that
> we were all correct in that she had used different cheeses.  I liked the
> Asiago best.
>
> 2nd Remove
> Chicken Endored with Leek Sauce
> Armored Turnips
>
> Notes;  I could have eaten the leek sauce like a soup.  It was very
> flavorful and excellent.  The chicken (on a stick :)) was wonderfully
> cooked.  Cooked through and not turned into chicken jerky as oft happens
> with chicken on sticks at events.  I liked that it was served on skewers as
> it made portioning very easy.  I really had to resist eating a complete pan
> of armoured turnips myself.  "There's another remove coming, Mel.  There's
> another remove coming."  Very very very nice.  Best I have ever had!
>
> 3rd Remove
> Cormarye
> Spinach Tart
>
> Notes:  This is where the "Mel you shouldn't have really eaten three
> servings of salad part kicked in."  I persevered and had this remove, too.
> So glad I did.  The pork was tender and I didn't feel that any one spice
> overwhelmed the other.  I did taste the caraway initially, but the other
> spices did come through.  The spinach tart was very good and full of spice
> and I had to force my tablemates to have a bite as to not miss this dish.
> Elspeth, the pie that had all the tips cut off the slices was from my
> table.  :)

> [...]

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/