[Sca-cooks] Recipe Request

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 00:31:09 PDT 2007

--- "Joshua D. McCoy" <jdmccoy6336 at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Hi again folks.  I have another request.  Dose any one have a Apple Tartar recipe that I can get
> for my own personal and only for my personal use?
>
> From,
> Joshua

Apple Tartar?  As in Tartar sauce?  Or do you mean Apple Tatin?  Which is an apple cobbler
kind of dessert but better.

Below is a great Apple Tatin [pronounced Ta-tan'] recipe.

Huette

For the dough
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into bits
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 to 5 tablespoons ice water

For the filling
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Calvados or applejack
four 3-inch strips of lemon zest removed with a vegetable peeler
three 3-inch cinnamon sticks, halved
7 large apples (about 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
crème fraîche as an accompaniment if desired

In a large bowl blend the flour, the butter, the margarine, the sugar, and the salt until
the mixture resembles meal. Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water, toss the mixture until
the water is incorporated, adding as much of the remaining water as is necessary to form
a dough, and form the dough into a ball. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped
in wax paper, for 1 hour.  Preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a large heavy skillet melt the butter over moderately high heat, stir in the sugar,
the Calvados or applejack, the zest, and the cinnamon sticks, and boil the mixture for
1 minute. Stir in the apples, peeled, cored, and quartered, and cook the mixture, stirring
frequently, for 30 minutes, or until the apples are glazed and the syrup is beginning to
thicken. Discard the zest and the cinnamon sticks, add the lemon juice, and cook the mixture
over high heat for 10 minutes, or until the syrup is almost completely evaporated and the
apples are tender and a rich golden brown. Spoon the filling into an 11- by 2-inch (1 1/2-quart
capacity) greased glass pie plate, tamping the apples down with a metal spatula.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a round slightly larger than the pie
plate and drape it over the filling. Tuck the dough down inside the edge of the pie plate
and prick it in 4 places. Bake the tatin in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until
the juices are bubbling and the crust is golden.  Turn the tatin upside down onto a platter.
If any apples stick to the pie plate rearrange them on the tart carefully. Serve the tart
warm or at room temperature with the crème fraîche.

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/