[Sca-cooks] Other list, OT Paint

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Apr 23 09:15:11 PDT 2007

On 4/23/07, aeduin <aeduin at adelphia.net> wrote:
> What my wife did on our pavilions, the Mark 1 and Mark 2 was use
> acrylic and a brush.
> www.housemorien.org/paviliondiary.htm
>
> aeduin

Nice looking set up ;-)

I'm going for something much simpler. I found an 11'4" X 23' 4" tarp
on Harbor Freight for about $90, cost and shipping. It's a decent tan
color -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37922

and my plan was to make it into a wedge tent using some fabric I have
as doors on the ends and paint the middle third of the sides my
favorite bright red. As I plan it, it will require only 5 poles- one
for the ridge pole, and 2 uprights, plus two more to hold up one of
the sides to be open and use as a shop for my smithing, but closeable
at night. Should be able to store all my smithing stuff, and leave
room in the back for a cot and my camping stuff until I build my other
project. Footprint should be about 12' X 18' closed, 12' X 21' opened
as a leanto.

I figure a hardwood 2" X 4" used as the ridgepole ought to work if I
set it in edge up, and shape the ends a bit to take the uprights. I
like your idea of using painted black pipe as uprights. Had been
considering forging some black pipe for finials, but a couple pieces
8' long painted and threaded might just do what I need. At least to
begin with, the uprights for the lifted side are going to be a couple
of heavy duty aluminum adjustible poles I have so I can figure out how
high I want the shade side of the lean to. Got some scrap rebar I can
make into stakes, again until I decide exactly what I need.

Huh... I wonder- I need to get over to the scrapyard.

Later ;-)

> >I've got to agree, from what I've seen, Gunthar. While I do disagree
> >with Wanda on the garage shelters, having weathered out a couple of
> >Pennsic blowhards in mine, properly staked, of course,, they really
> >aren't usually as aggressive as they appeared at that point. I didn't
> >get a single complaint when I was discussing turning a modern canvas
> >tarp into a wedge tent, although admitedly I didn't get any
> >suggestions as to a paint I could use to decorate it a bit. Think I'm
> >going to try cheapy Walmart spray paint, see how that works.
> >
> >Meantime, today I picked up a wooden vise that, if not provably
> >period, will at least look good AND be functional with the period
> >style smithy I'm trying to put together. Might still put a green belt
> >on it, so everybody will know it's my apprentice ;-)
> >
> >Hey, no reason we have to take ourselves TOO seriously ;-)
> >

> >--
> >Saint Phlip
> >
> >Heat it up
> >Hit it hard
> >Repent as necessary.
> >
> >Priorities:
> >
> >It's the smith who makes the tools, not the tools which make the smith.
> >
> >HIPAA Penalties
> >
> >42USC1320d-6 Wrongful disclosure of individually identifiable health
> >information
> >
> >(a) Offense
> >
> >A person who knowingly and in violation of this part-
> >
> >(1) uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier;
> >
> >(2) obtains individually identifiable health information relating to
> >an individual; or
> >
> >(3) discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,
> >
> >shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).
> >
> >(b) Penalties
> >
> >A person described in subsection (a) shall-
> >
> >(1) be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both;

Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.