[Sca-cooks] Serving One Dish at a time

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:50:47 PDT 2007

Constanza Marina de Huelva wrote:

> There are people way more versed in Spanish cuisine than I, on this list, but
> it was my understanding that this was also a Spanish practice including the
> fact that bread was on the table and replinished during the meal if needed.  In
> fact, I was reading somewhere that high-end restaurants in Spain still serve
> one dish at a time.
>
> Can someone verify or correct me?
>
> Just curious,

    The order of service in Spain was established by the Romans during
their occupation but forgotten after their downfall during which time
all foods were placed on the table, meats and sweets together. Ziryab,
the founder and director of the first Music Conservatory in Europe
re-established the order of the meal after his arrival in Cordoba in 822
during Islam occupation. As the Romans he called for an appetizer
consisting of  a bland dish, soup or tafaya. Rather than one main dish
of meat or fowl he called for two courses followed by fruit for dessert
and the last course was a sweet.
    In the book: "Suero de Quiñones en el Passo Honoroso" which took
place in 1434  during banquets peacock served as one course, assorted
meats as another and assorted fish as another. Entrails and sausage
could be served with eggs as another course. Various types of fowl and
poultry could be still another.
    Except at elaborate dinners today the Roman custom is followed
consisting of three courses. In my home in Madrid bread is placed on
bread plates before the family is called to the table or as they take
their seats and replenished as required normally between courses as well
as drinks. Only one dish is served at a time. During the winter, for
example, broth from the boiled meat or fish for paella is served first
and paella second which is followed by a dessert. In summer paella is
served first and salad is the second course. Restaurants, high or low
follow the same practice. Note the second course may be accompanied by a
starch or vegetables.
Suey