[Sca-cooks] fat substitutions in recipe???

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Apr 28 17:50:38 PDT 2007

Hey, everyone.  A friend asked my advice on substituting one fat for another
in a particular recipe.  I asked him for more details, and what he needs to
find is a good substitute for 1/2 a lb of pork fat that shows up in a
cheesecake recipe.  Now, I've made my share of savory and sweet cheesecakes
over the years, but I've never heard of one which adds fat in this way--the
fat in my experience always comes from the cheeses used, and egg yolks, and
maybe sour cream (depending on the recipe, etc.).  So about the only thing I
could thing of to recommend to him would be something that acted
similarly--some fat at least a semi-solid at room temp.  I thought of
butter, maybe, or even vegetable shortening, or (if meat's okay), beef suet?
Am I missing anything?
--Maire