[Sca-cooks] Akim's back

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Apr 30 08:03:39 PDT 2007

> For a small town in rural Tennessee, this kind of store was rather unexpected.
> On the other hand, I am not aware of anything like it (affordably) in nearby
> Nashville.  Have others on the list discovered similar stores that they frequent
> for exotic dainties?  I suspect that they remain quiet secrets if they do.

Oh yes. We do a lot of shopping at such stores in Lancaster county.
There's a small chain called "Sharp Shopper," as well as 2 Amish-run
discount/overstock stores (Lantz's, in Leola PA, and Glenola Farms, in
Ephrata PA) that I use to stock up on things like cheese, as well as
catch-as-catch-can dainties. My roomates tease me that I will buy
anything if it is 99 cents or less. (Well, I will pay 1.99 for a quart
jar of Polaner's all-fruit.)

In the non-closeout arena, there is an Amish run bulk and Natural foods
store outside of Kutztown PA where we get all our strange grain products
and high quality nuts and dried fruits. I should buy more at the Trader
Joe's near my work, but there's the siren call of Echo Hill store... :)
They make their own almond and other nut butters and sell a number of
essential oils for cooking. That's where i get my barley and other grain
groats, as well as quinoa, millet, etc.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net